Butler Miner Utilizes 90% of the CPU resources…Read the full article…
Butler Miner is a cryptocurrency miner program which aims to utilize the CPU and GPU resources of the attacked computer system. The malware program eats entire resources to mine for cryptocurrency mainly Monero coins. Users are generally not aware of the happenings on their PC as keeps its identity hidden. The presence of Butler Miner program could result in sluggish system performance, applications may stuck at times and also affect the hardware.
Butler Miner virus is generally distributed through spam mail attachments that appears to be from legitimate source containing convincing subjects. But as user opens the attached documents, it starts downloading the payloads of the malware and installs it. There are other social engineering methods through which your computer can get this infection like: updating software programs from fake links or websites, downloading freeware and playing online games. Once installed, it does lots of changes to the system and adds files to various locations on the PC. It then connects to the mining pool of cryptocurrency, it may use XMRig which then runs the script to mine for the coins. Butler Miner program drops code to auto-launch along with the start of the windows and overloads the CPU for its mining process. User may notice “explorer.exe” process running under task manager window which assist the mining process by consuming the CPU resources. Along with that, you can see an application window called “mgdisk” opening that appears as below:
Being a Trojan threat, Butler Miner can also be used to steal private and confidential data stored on the system and also execute other malicious tasks without the consent of users. Thus, it is advised to remove Butler Miner along with its other associated files from the computer to ensure complete removal.
However, there are no any visible symptoms of its existence but there are few unusual behaviors which may prove that Butler Miner Miner is executing inside.
- User may locate its process “explorer.exe” within the task manager window.
- The CPU usage will show 90% or above.
- Applications will run slowly and minimize and maximize window will stuck at times.
- User may face difficulties while playing games, watching videos and performing other tasks.
- Normal performance of the computer will be hampered.
If you notice the above behaviors of your computer system, then you should quickly check of Butler Miner Miner program by scanning your computer and remove them.
Our technical team have tested the threat and found that Butler Miner Miner can be successfully removed by these anti-malware applications.
Any of these automatic Removal methods works at their best to free your computer system from Butler Miner Miner. However Security Experts does not recommend for manual removal methods as it can be risky and time consuming. But we present the both the methods for our users.
Methods to remove Butler Miner from the computer
If you have Butler Miner virus dropped inside, then your computer might also be infected with other spyware and potentially unwanted programs. You can try removing those manually, but manual method may not help you out fully to remove all the threats as they can regenerate itself if a single program code remain inside. Also, manual method requires very much proficiency in registry and program details, ant single mistake can put you in big trouble. Your computer may even crash down in the middle. Thus, Security researchers and virus experts always recommend using powerful and effective anti-spyware scanner and protector tool to completely remove the spyware or other potentially unwanted software from the infected computer system or other device.
Automatic Butler Miner Removal solution
SpyHunter has got all the feature that can help to remove Butler Miner virus from the infected computer and also prevent the other threats to attack the device in future. Once SpyHunter starts to run in the background, it will keep up notified if any threat or PUP tries to enter. Another feature of SpyHunter is that, whenever you install any new program it will Butler Miner scan the program and if it is not from any trusted source, it will notify you. Thus you can choose yourself either to go through the next installation step or stop right there.
SpyHunter 4 Features
Spyhunter 4 Compact OS allows your computer system to boot without windows so removal of malware and other stubborn infections may be easy.
Spyhunter System Guards will identify and block any malicious processes in real-time. Besides it allow to take full control of all processes that run on your computer.
The brand new advantage of the software is this feature providing the list of even the most malicious malware. After a complete and advanced system scan is conducted, the user can quickly have all system threats removed – even the ones which were not found by other anti-spyware programs.
It is important to emphasize that the systems having Spyhunter installed are protected from all types of existing malware. The program traces and completely deletes adware, spyware, keyloggers, rootkits and other threats including trojans and worms. None of the malware is now able to steal your personal data and use it against you.
For MAC users it is recommended to Download MACKEEPER-3 easy steps to clean your Mac!
- Follow two easy steps to install MacKeeper.
- Drag the MacKeeper icon from the Applications folder to your Dock.
Manual Butler Miner Removal solution
Step:1 Remove suspicious and unwanted browser add-ons, toolbars and extensions:
- Click on the cogwheel icon in the top right corner of the browser
- In the menu choose the Manage Add-ons
- Select Toolbar and Extension tab.
- Look for Butler Miner or other suspicious add-ons.
- Click Disable button.
- Launch Google Chrome.
- In the address bar type chrome://settings/
- Click on the Extensions tab
- Find related Butler Miner or other suspicious extension and click the delete icon.
- Reset Homepage and search engine.
- Open Firefox
- In the address bar type about:addons
- Click Extensions tab.
- Find related Butler Miner or other suspicious extension.
- Click the Remove button.
Note: This can only remove the extensions and add-ons from the browsers. The complete removal means more than this. You must reset browser settings and re-launch all the browsers. It is recommended to use automatic Reset browser option from the SpyHunter strong antivirus tool.
Step:-2 Remove all associated files From Operating System
- Click Start
- In the menu choose Control Panel
- Choose Add / Remove Programs.
- Find Butler Miner related files.
- Click Remove button.
- Click Start and choose Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features and Uninstall a program.
- In the list of installed programs find files and programs associated to Butler Miner
- Click Uninstall button.
- Right click on the bottom left corner of the desktop screen
- From the left menu choose Control Panel
- Click Uninstall a program under Programs and Features.
- Locate the files and programs associated with Butler Miner or other suspicious program.
- Click Uninstall button.
Step:- 3 Remove all Registry Entries added by Butler Miner
Butler Miner creates a folder under:
Next, Butler Miner creates the following registry entries:
Perform the following steps to delete the associated Registry entries by Butler Miner
- While in the desktop view, Press window’s icon and R.
- It will open the Run window and type “regedit”.
- It will open the Registry Editor window, Now you need to locate and delete all registry items associated to Butler Miner program.
- Go to File<Click Export
- Save the file in c:\ as regbackup. Click save.
- Go to Edit< find< Type Butler Miner
- Press F3 to search.
- Once an item is found, read to make sure it is a link to that program.
Press delete to remove it.
Continue pressing F3 and deleting items pertaining to the program, until all the links are gone.
Warning: you must only choose and delete the values and their associated registry entries for Butler Miner , others should not be tampered, edited or deleted. At any point you think not comfortable with the manual process, stop it immediately and use Butler Miner Removal Tool for safe problem solution.
Step:-4 Reboot the Computer and Run the Anti-malware tool for Complete Removal of Butler Miner
Now Reboot the computer and run the scanner to detect any threat or suspicious program remaining inside. If you are not satisfied with the results and still see the issues, We recommend using the automatic Butler Miner Removal Tool for complete removal.
Experts Guide To Prevent Future Attacks
The following steps will guide you to reduce the risk of infection further.
- Scan all files with an Internet Security solution before transferring them to your system.
- Only transfer files from a well known source.
- Always read carefully the End User License agreement at Install time and cancel if other “programs” are being installed as part of the desired program.
- When visiting a website, type the address directly into the browser rather than following a link.
- Do not provide personal information to any unsolicited requests for information.
- Don’t open attachments or click on Web links sent by someone you don’t know.
- Keep web browser up to date and computer is configured securely.